Tuesday, September 20, 2005
It's, umm, Tuesday! And we have absolutely nothing whatsoever to say in this intro piece, despite the fact that it's only a paragraph long and it really shouldn't be that hard to think of something to fill up the space. Oh well, let's just cut to the chase and see whether we're similarly uninspired when it comes to finding out what we learnt from this week's Top of the Pops (Clue: Yes):-
- This week Fearne was joined by Richard Bacon, who managed to resist the temptation to make vaguely -ist based comments about any of the bands on the show.
- Mariah Carey, the world's most talented hamster, is releasing Got Your Number. Unfortunately the hamster's talents centre mainly around wearing an undersized vest as a dress and not in the slightly more useful area of miming halfway convincingly.
- Despite all medical evidence to the contrary, Status Quo are still going and have just released the threateningly titled The Party's Not Over Yet to both celebrate their 40 years together and general public disinterest.
- Singer blokey, Francis Rossi, demonstrates that, while it's perfectly possible to maintain the same hairstyle for 40 years, it's not necessarily a wise thing to do.
- RETRO: Kate Bush, who was Running up the Hill, to the complete lack of interest of her bored looking backing band.
- Proving that the utter shitness of You're Beautiful was no fluke, James Blunt is back with High.
- Vanessa Brown, performing Whipped, is the sort of act that you'd expect to get through to the final 9 in X Factor. This is not a compliment.
- Showing that you're never to old to completely embarrass yourself were Barbara Streisland and Barry Gibb with their cringe making duet, Above the Law.
- The Dead 60's, who have a number 30 chart 'smash' with Riot Radio, seem to be firmly of the belief that wholesale ripping off of Radio 4's Struggle equates to creativity.
- RETRO: Nirvana doing Smells Like Teen Spirit. This was Fearne's choice and she declared it to be her favourite song ever, ever. Declaring such a thing is similar to having the phrase "I have no real interest in music whatsoever" tattooed across your forehead.
- Sean Paul's We Be Burnin' gives the thumbs up to a very naughty activity: Illegal downloads.
- Pussycat Dolls are still at number one. "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?". No, frankly.