Friday, December 09, 2005
Nicola Roberts' Guide To Keeping Yourself Amused When Everyone Apart From You Has Been Given Something to Do
(It's OK, you can speak)
(No, really, it's safe, Nadine's not around to stop you. Don't worry)
(If you could just step a bit closer to the microphone, please, we're not quite picking you up properly)
(The microphone. It's the big black fluffy thing in front of you. They've really never let you near one before?)
(Really? Well chinese burns are quie nasty so we can understand your reluctance, but no-one's going to do that here, so feel free to start speaking)
*Ahem* Hi, I'm Nicola Roberts from Girls Aloud. Yes you do. I'm the one at the back during most of our performances. No, I'm not an extra. I'm a proper part of the band, I get paid and everything! It's proper boss! Anyway, despite me being an integral part of the band, I often find that while the other girls are busy recording vocals, learing dance routines, doing interviews, and just generally hanging out, I'm left to my own devices and have to find something else to do to keep me occupied. Sometimes they even forget to tell me when and where we're doing the recording sessions, can you imagine! They're so absent-minded sometimes! Anyway, with all this free time I have while they're busy with important stuff, I've become quite adept at finding things to do to pass the time, so I thought I'd pass on some of this knowledge to you lot, so here's my Guide to Keeping Yourself Amused When Everyone Else Apart From You Has Been Given Somethng to Do:
- Go exploring! There's always lots of doors you can open and see what's on the other side! Just ignore any signs that say you shouldn't be going through there, you know, ones that say "Private", "No Entry", or have a stick figure of a man on the front. But there's not much in the last ones normally, just some weird looking sinks and a funny smell.
- Listen to some CD's. I usually listen to Girls Aloud ones as it's the only way I get to find out what music we've released.
- Practice your singing. You never know! One day you might actually be asked to do some.
- Learn some magic tricks! I'm always practicing mine, and the other girls are really encouraging! Nadine in particular is really supportive, she keeps telling me that she can't wait until she see's me disappear!
- Earn some extra pocket money by working some shifts in your local supermarket. It's a good way of meeting new people and making some spare cash. It also comes in really handy if your record company forgets to send you your wages, as mine seems to do on a regular basis.
- Paint your nails. I find that if I keep reapplying and reapplying while I wait for the other girls to remember about me and come and find where I am, I can get a coat up to 3 inches thick!
- You can also watch the polish dry as well! Two for the price of one!
- Read a book! I'm currently reading our official biography. I'm nearly at the end, and I've still not had a mention yet, but I'm sure I'll have a whole chapter to myself soon!
- Count things! You'll be amazed at how quickly time goes by when you're sitting counting ceiling tiles, spoons, matches, pores on the back of your hand, etc.
- See if you can find someone who, when you ask them if there's something you can be getting on with, doesn't reply by saying "Not now, Nicola!". I've not succeeded yet, but one day I will!
- Go to the wardrobe department and try on some of the clothes! For some reason they only seem to get us our outfits in sets of four, and they don't seem to have my measurements right as I can never find anything that fits me properly, but I still have fun trying! Well, I do until the security guard comes along, orders me out, takes me back to my chair and tells me to sit there until I'm told otherwise.
- Try and learn a new language! Sometimes people just seem to ignore me when I speak, so I'm going to try learning French and German and Spanish and see if they understand me better using that.
- Read Heat magazine! Sometimes I'm even in it, except they never caption it properly, it's always "Kimberly, Nadine, Cheryl, Sarah and an unnamed fan".