Wednesday, May 24, 2006
Available in all good record shops this week, and from dodgy download sites for about a month previous, is the new Pet Shop Boys album, Fundamental. We've not actually heard it yet, but we're convinced it'll be utterly fantastic because a) Everyone else is saying this and b)it's a Pet Shop Boys album, so is utterly fantastic by definition. To celebrate this, here are ten entirely true and in no way made up facts about the two men who should really be revered national heroes by now:-
- Neil and Chris once released an album of brass band covers with the title I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Swing.
- Dusty Springfield was only roped in to duet on What Have I Done To Deserve This? when first choice Su Pollard was unable to make the recording date. "She's hilarious!", said Neil. "Especially when she falls into a swimming pool", he added. Unnecessarily.
- Always on My Mind was written about Chris's baseball cap.
- One of Neil's partners was ever so slightly kinky and would only ever have sex when he was dressed up as one of a variety of furry animals. Alas, the relationship eventually stumbled to an end with Neil angrily storming out declaring "You only tell me you love me when you're a skunk".
- Neil Tennant is Doctor Who actor David Tennant's uncle
- Chris Lowe is the Nicola Roberts of the group: underrated, moody, unlikely to get asked too many questions in interviews, ginger, etc.
- English gent Neil is so intelligent that he knows the difference between a metaphor and a simile.
- Famously Neil used to edit Smash Hits, but what is slightly less well known is that Chris is the current editor of Buzz!, the Scottish Power in house magazine.
- Pet Shop Boys was the title of a single by Go West.
- If you don't at least own Pop Art, their greatest hits, then you're a fool to yourself.