Monday, June 05, 2006
It's Monday! And we have a much quieter week ahead of us than the last seven days, which means we'll have plenty of time to spend writing top quality material for the site, won't we? Ha! Anyway, here's what we learnt from this week's Top of the Pops:-
- Fearne was joined by DJ Spoony this week, and they both opened the show by "Crouch Dancing". It's something to do with football, apparently.
- Is It Any Wonder? delivered a number 3 placing for Keane. It's something to do with football, apparently.
- Ronan Keating achieved a number 6 by teaming up with Kate Rusby for Al Over Again. It's something to do with a load of old balls, apparently.
- RETRO: Mariah Carey doing I'll Be There. Despite this being a performance from 1992, no-one bothered to tell Mariah, who instead turned up direct from a stint fronting T'Pau in 1987.
- Is Fearne still 'with' one of Lost Prophets? As we can think of no other reason why their new single, Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast) is being given TotP airtime.
- The call and response bit at the end is quite good, mind.
- Leann Rimes is releasing And it Feels Like. Amazing! The fact she's still releasing records, that is, not the song.
- Though we did quite like her dress.
- All-American Rejects are clearly quite good at keeping Dirty Little Secrets. They've certainly managed to keep the concept of a memorable tune well hidden.
- RETRO: Baddiel, Skinner and The Lightening Seeds doing Three Lions. Despite the fact that a) We're Scottish, b) It's a football song and c) Baddiel and Skinner's painfully awful singing, we actually really quite like this, probably because a) It's the Lightening Seeds, b) The "It's coming home" bit is really quite effecting and c) We fancy the keyboardist.
- Duncan James, proving it's possible to straighten your hair too much is releasing Sooner or Later. We'd prefer later.
- Duncan began his career as a 'red coat' entertainer, according to the TotP caption, the quote marks appearing exactly one word too early.
- The next single from The Streets is called The Record Company Really Want Another Dry Your Eyes.
- Sandi Thom is at number one with I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker (With Flowers in my Hair). She got famous through the internet! No, really she did! We'll have more to say about her later this week.