Friday, July 29, 2005
It's the weekend! Why not...
- Go and see Lady Sovereign tonight at the Club NME night in KOKO, London? She's ace and deserves to be flying as high as a recently filled helium balloon.
- Also tonight, if you're in Guildford, go and see The New Like Whatever at the Plantation Cafe. We have no idea if they're any good or not, but we love their name. The same goes for Zombina and the Skeletones at the Boston Arms in London.
- Run barefoot along your local beach with your arms outstretched and experience the life affirming feelings of the wind blowing through your hair, the awakening caused by the salty spray on your face and the slightly unpleasant realisation that you've just stood in a dead seagull.
- Watch tonight's Big Brother eviction and realise that Orlaith is the reality TV equivalent of Johnny Borrell from Razorlight: Pretty, vain, egotistical, not overly bright and fond of getting her tits out at the slightest opportunity.
- Hang around the single section in HMV and, should you notice anyone picking up a copy of Daniel Powter's Bad Day, explain to them the error of their ways. If this fails, give them a slap.
- Pop along to the Cambridge Folk Festival and ponder upon exactly how loose the definition of 'folk' must be when Idlewild get given a gig.
- Stick it to the man.
- Go to your nearest second hand CD store and buy an album for no better reason than you quite like the cover.
- And finally, if you're Dolores O'Riordan from out of The Cranberries, celebrate and be smug that finally, only 11 years after you released the bloody record, someone at the IRA has listened to Zombie and, thanks to your lyrical insight, they've realised that violence is a bit rubbish after all, and so have put down their tanks and their bombs and their bombs and their guns. You must be very proud.